International

Philippines threatens to declare war against Canada on waste issue

VNA
Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte on April 23 said that he would “declare war” against Canada if it doesn’t take back the trash that it had shipped to the Phillipines.

A container of waste (Source: eco-business.com)

A container of waste (Source: eco-business.com)

More than 100 containers of waste were shipped to Manila by a Canadian company in 2013 and 2014, improperly labelled as plastics for recycling. Manila has repeatedly sent diplomatic dispatches to Ottawa on this problem.

Speaking at an urgent meeting on the earthquake in Pampanda, Duterte said that Canada should prepare a grand reception for its waste.

To date, the Canadian side maintains that this was just a trading activity which was not supported by the government.

However, at an ASEAN summit with partners in Manila two years ago, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau declared to take back the waste, but no related moves have been taken so far.

Last week a British Columbia lawyer said in a legal brief that Canada is in violation of the international Basel Convention, which forbids developed nations from sending their toxic or hazardous waste to developing nations without informed consent.

Earlier this month, environment groups urged Canada to take back the garbage, noting that the sending of the waste was a violation of the Basel Convention.

Other news