Health

HIV-infected people live normally if taking ARV

People living with HIV receive lifesaving antiretroviral (ARV) drugs have life expectancy like normal, said Vietnam administration of HIV/AIDS control and the US Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) at a press brief yesterday.
 

HIV-infected people live normally if taking ARV

Moreover, men who have HIV suppressed with antiretroviral drugs did not infect their partners even when they have sex without condoms.
Head of the administration Nguyen Hoang Long said that out of around Vietnamese 209,000 HIV-infected people, just approximately 123,000 people receive treatment of ARV, accounting for 60 percent while the remaining 40 percent have not been treated yet because of different reasons including being afraid of discrimination. 91 percent of people on treatment with suppressed HIV levels can't transmit virus.
Noticeably, John Blandford, Director of the Division of Global HIV/AIDS (DGHA) at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in Vietnam said that the US center‘s 10-year researches studied nearly 1,800 couples made up of one partner that had HIV and one that didn’t. These couples have unprotected sex and they did not take the drug. Study results showed that HIV people with suppressed HIV-level did not transmit the virus.
Different studies have been conducted on thousands of couples with many sex acts. Altogether, the researchers counted more than thousands acts of unsafe sex. Moreover, no partners of these couples are transmitted the fatal virus, said Blandford.
Accordingly, Mr. Long stressed these scientific evidence proved the importance of the drug to people living with HIV.
He added that the first HIV-infected Vietnamese woman living in HCMC in 1990 is still healthy and work like others because she takes the drug gradually.

By QUOC LAP – Translated by UYEN PHUONG

Other news